One of the core pillars of today’s marketing strategies is email marketing. In order to be successful, you first need to an email list to market and send emails to. Whether you’re an email marketing newbie or a seasoned vet, email list management is at the core of what you do. A poorly managed email list can land you in the spam folder or even worse, get you blacklisted altogether.
Today we’re going to look at everything you need to know about email lists — how to grow them, segment them, and maintain them for successful email marketing performance.
What is an Email List?
An email list typically includes a list of names, email addresses, and perhaps other demographic data like location, industry, or titles. All of this information can be used to help you create segmented email lists, or groups, whom you can directly market specific messages to.
What do we mean by segmented lists? Well, if you have accounting widgets to sell and you know that 100 people in your email database are owners of accounting firms, then you might want to create a list called “accountants” and create specific campaigns targeting that group. If you have a group of customers you haven’t heard from in a while, also known as “sleepers”, you might create a segmented list called “sleepers” and create targeted campaigns focused on reigniting their excitement and engagement with your company.
Email lists allow you to target specific messages to specific users, demographics, or industries within your email list.
Email List Development
For new businesses starting out, the allure of purchasing email lists is very tempting. But as we’ve cautioned before, purchasing email lists is dangerous business. To ensure optimal results and protect your brand’s email reputation, you want to build your email lists organically.
You can grow your email list organically by:
- Adding newsletter and promotional offer sign-up modules all over your website
- Adding email sign-up opportunities on purchase receipts and purchase receipt emails
- Adding sign-up modules to your social media pages
- Adding sign-up links to your employee email signatures
The main thing we want to emphasize is to never purchase an email list —- grow it organically and include email opt-in options. This protects your email reputation and will ensure you build a solid email list that will be usable and grow year over year.
What Can You do to Prevent Email List Fatigue?
The simple solution for preventing email list fatigue is to not constantly email everyone on your email list. You want to keep things fresh, exciting, and not come off as pushy.
Follow these tips to help prevent email list fatigue:
- Create segmented email lists and target your messaging accordingly
- Create a marketing content calendar and don’t over email your consumers
- Incorporate videos, cool offers, and demos into your marketing emails
- Ensure your marketing emails are fun and informal — use conversational language, engaging images, and the consumer’s first name
- Avoid being too salesy in your emails — remember to focus on “what’s in it for me” if you want your customers to really get jazzed about what you’re pitching to them
Email List Maintenance
To keep your email list squeaky clean and performing at an optimal rate, you want to perform monthly or quarterly email deliverability audits.
Okay, so it doesn’t sound sexy or like something you really want to do, but performing an email delivery audit should be something that is given high importance as part of your overall email marketing strategy. Trust us, while black can be slimming, landing on an email blacklist because you have an outdated email list will do nothing for your company’s figure or appearance.
An email deliverability audit should be performed for several reasons, with the core purpose of evaluating one or more of the following issues:
- Security and Regulation Testing
- Email Reputation Management
- Content Quality
- Email Deliverability
- Marketing Email Effectiveness
Keeping your email lists clean also helps improve your bounce rate, open rate, and inbox deliverability rates — so basically, when you have clean email lists, you vastly improve your odds of email marketing rock star greatness!
Want to see how the MailMonitor suite of tools can help your business master inbox deliverability? Contact us and request a demo!